Sailing yacht Sila Sibiri (ex Kestrel) is currently washed up on shore in Palma de Mallorca following a storm surge that hit the island last night. The 32-metre Turkish-built ketch has been stranded beside the capital city’s famous Paseo Marítimo since the hourly hours of the morning. Two crew members were apparently on board, both of whom have escaped the vessel safely. Photo: Sally-Anne Moore Photo: Sally-Anne Moore
Details surrounding the incident remain unclear but it is believed that following manoeuvring difficulties in the challenging conditions, the yacht drifted ashore as she was sitting at anchor. An attempt to tow the vessel off the rocks earlier today was aborted due to the severe swell and at the time of publishing the yacht remains precariously perched in her current position.
The SuperYacht Times iQ 2018 Report
Did you know that in 2017....
- 180 new yachts over 30 metres were sold
- 149 new yachts over 30 metres were completed
- 443 yachts over 30 metres were under construction
- 30% of the yachts under construction were available for sale
- 20% of the yachts were owned by clients from the USA