G.L Watson & Co. has announced an opportunity to restore a significant, high pedigree yacht to her former glory. The 48 metre Caritas was built in 1925 by the Krupp shipyard to a Cox & Stevens design for J.P. Bartram, a New York sugar magnate. After being acquired, like many vessels at this time, by the Navy in 1941, she served for four years before being decommissioned in 1945.
Unfortunately, after the war years Caritas has been long forgotten, and G.L. Watson report that they rediscovered just in time to save her from being scrapped. In her present state she is largely original with timber decks, some interior panelling and no welded repairs. All engines, pipework and wiring have been removed prior to her moving to her current location.
Restored to modern superyacht standards and regulations, her interior volume will provide accommodation for up to 10 guests with a spacious main salon and separate dining room on the main deck. The shade deck is large enough to provide ample space for dining, lounging or entertaining outdoors, as well as storage for a motor launch, RIB and dinghies.
As is typical with American yachts of the period, the whole aft main deck is shaded by an elegant sun awning creating a comfortable and private space for dining and lounging above the yacht’s counter stern.
The current condition of Caritas makes her an ideal candidate for restoration projects similar to those completed on Blue Bird, Nahlin and most recently, Malahne.
G. L. Watson & Co. Managing Director, Dr William Collier who over the last 25 years has been responsible for the identification, salvage and restoration of many of today’s best known classic yachts states, "Caritas is to the best of our knowledge a unique and last opportunity to undertake the restoration of a yacht that combines both pedigree and elegance within truly practical proportions. She needs to be saved and restored so that she can take her place in the treasured fleet of great classic yachts.”