The principal actors of the world yacht racing scene are on their way to the second World Yacht Racing Forum from 9-10 Dec in Monaco. Over 350 delegates are expected whilst 50 speakers and 80 journalists from all over the world have confirmed their participation.
The event begins tonight, December 8, with an official cocktail reception at the Yacht Club de Monaco. WYRF Chairman and World Champion Sailor Peter Gilmour will then officially open the Forum on Wednesday 9 December before handing over to keynote speaker Tom Whidden, President of North Sails, who will talk about the “state of the industry”. Debates and presentations addressing some of the key issues our sport faces will follow. Topics include:
• The commercial case for yachting sponsorship – Can sailing deliver value for money?
• Can yacht racing deliver economic returns for host cities and ports?
• The measure of success – evaluating the impact of sponsorship value
• Leveraging a sponsorship deal – how do we maximise the investment?
• Tapping into new media audiences – The future of sailing on the web, in gaming and television
The traditional ‘Track & Ocean’ cocktail reception, jointly hosted with the Motor Sport Business Forum, will close the day and offer an opportunity for delegates and exhibitors from both conferences to meet and network with each other. Both events’ exhibitor areas will be accessible to all delegates throughout the two days.
The Forum’s second day will begin with a keynote address by double Vendée Globe winner Michel Desjoyeaux. It will be followed by four debates on the following subjects:
• Cost cutting measures - Who is trimming event costs for today’s economy?
• Governing the sport – What can sailing learn from other sports?
• What is the case for multihull racing?
• The America’s Cup – What is the future for the challengers after AC 33?
Sponsors of this years Forum include Presenting Sponsor Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority, and Official Sponsors Horus Watches and the Barcelona World Race. The Volvo Ocean Race also joins the Forum as Associate Partner with courtesy cars provided by Volvo Cars France in collaboration with the Volvo Ocean Race. Delegates will also receive a complimentary copy of the award winning book Spanish Castle to White Night written by Mark Chisnell.
The World Yacht Racing Forum is for the first time this year co-located with the inaugural Yacht Racing Design & Technology Symposium and 1st International Superyacht Coatings Conference. The three events have attracted a huge amount of interest from the Yacht Racing community and an impressive line-up of speakers, sponsors and delegates will be reassembled in Monaco.
The Yacht Club de Monaco is once again the official host of the conference, under the Patronage of HSH Prince Albert II.