In December 2004 Blohm & Voss announced the contract for a 118-meter motor yacht, project name Sigma (hull number 970). The yacht is designed by renowned French designer Philippe Starck, but no more details were revealed. The drawing, that was released together with the statement, however said more than 1.000 words. It showed a futuristic looking yacht with an axe bow and a small, tall superstructure at the aft end of the yacht.
The Blohm & Voss shipyard in Hamburg was too busy with other projects so it was decided to build Sigma at the HDW shipyard in Kiel, which is also part of ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems.
Since the statement in December 2004 the project name of the yacht seems to have changed to SF99 and there are rumors that her length increased to 130-meter although this has not been confirmed. After almost three years of silence Sigma was launched today! The following photos were made by Carl Groll.
The SuperYacht Times iQ 2018 Report
Did you know that in 2017....
- 180 new yachts over 30 metres were sold
- 149 new yachts over 30 metres were completed
- 443 yachts over 30 metres were under construction
- 30% of the yachts under construction were available for sale
- 20% of the yachts were owned by clients from the USA