Marala was built in 1931 at the Camper & Nicholsons shipyard in the United Kingdom, to a design by Charles E. Nicholson. She was ordered by Montague Napier, in the same year when the yard delivered the 65-metre schooner Creole. At that time, Camper & Nicholsons was one of the leading superyacht builders in the world. Montague Napier passed away before he could take delivery of the yacht, and Marala was sold to airplane builder Sir Richard Fairey, who named the yacht Evadne. In the years to follow, the yacht had different owners, and became Zapala and Gaviota IV, before getting her current name. These days Marala features an interior that matches her exterior look, with teak furniture, silk wall coverings and polished brass.